View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-07-16, 16:11

For anyone who hasn't been watching the statistics, COVID-19 related hospitalizations have been steadily rising in the US over the last several months, and it continues to kill 350 people every day on the 7-day average.

Daily hospital admissions in the US over the last year (CDC source):

Daily deaths in the US over the last year (CDC source):

Recall that the CDC's numbers are also probably conservative and under-reported. Several other sources were reporting that the US crossed the "1 million COVID deaths" line a full month before the CDC reported it.

Even if the fatality rate is low for now, "long COVID" with its nebulous "brain fog" and general fatigue for months or years after initial recovery is still very much a problem that most people seem far too happy to ignore. That there's a 10-30% chance (AMA source) of an infection leading to possible long-term cognitive impairment seems like an absurdly high gamble to unmask and mingle as if the latest strains are no worse than a common cold or flu. I guess most people aren't using their brain every day and don't mind losing some of it.

Pretty much everyone in my home town has given up on even the easiest, lowest-effort courtesies that could reduce transmission. Masks are a rare sight. Personal space in the checkout line is a luxury. This is despite my area having previously adhered surprisingly well to local government-issued mask mandates and health notices. I though I was in a lucky bubble of folks who would continue to be thoughtful and proactive. Nope. Once those mandates were officially lifted, it took a few weeks, but very soon the general population was all back to business as usual.

It's all so very depressing.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.