View Single Post
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-07-25, 09:42

I don't often attach much significance to the comings and goings of the rich and famous. I was too young to care or remember. All I knew for years was that my mother played his songs in our car's cassette player. In retrospect it had foreboding symbolism didn't it? It closed off an era, just as another had begun. By'68 all of John Kennedy, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, and Robert Kennedy were dead. Assassinated. Artists of the time, the popular faces of cultural conscience, usually died by misadventure and addiction, not lunatic gunmen...

To start the seventies, Joplin, Morrison, Hendrix, all gone too soon. Civil rights too seemed to peak then regress in the face of overconsumption, hippies started turning into fat suburbanites. By '77 Elvis was dead, though he'd been gone some years before.

December 1980... Regan had only been elected a month or so prior. The super powers leaned into their national identities and built even more rockets. People wouldn't start dying of AIDS for a few years yet, we'd go on to buy even more drugs, and more guns as the country quietly re-segregated itself along real-estate lines... lunatic gunmen are everywhere, including your kids' schools.

Last edited by Matsu : 2022-07-25 at 13:21.