View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-04, 09:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

The Span panel seems really cool. I do worry about what could happen if hackers breach my electrical panel.

Doesn't mean that will always be the case. Does the world seem to be getting better?

[This whole post is taking on a wonderfully dystopian aesthetic... ]

Lately I've been reading that solid-state home batteries are around the corner, and greatly reduce the risk of a housefire.

Also, I believe Panasonic has entered the home battery game, aiming to compete at a brand level with Tesla.
Oh I VERY much agree about most everything here. This is why I wanted to go off grid and then later be able to tap into the grid while I can to get the best of all worlds with batteries and such. I do have a mild level of concern about hackers and my (future) Span Panel, but my network is secure so it would be on their end if it wasn't. If it was tampered with from the outside, I would isolate it from the WAN. It would already be on an isolated VLAN in my network. Same for batteries and other such infrastructure. All those items would be in an isolated VLAN from my main network.

For generation, I really want solar because it is "free" to generate once you have the equipment. I don't have something I can put solar on like an RV/trailer so I'm kinda stuck on that one right now. I have a generator though, a good one that was kinda a NEED in Va Beach. My house here has a 500 gallon propane tank in the ground. While I don't get as good of power generation with propane, it is more than enough to cover the basics for us. I'm going to get it wired into my panels so I can just feed all my circuits that I don't turn off. Since it is a manual connection, this would require me to manipulate the panels anyway so I don't back-feed the grid during an outage. I had a proper MBT in Va Beach, but don't have that here because we were going to go solar.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.