View Single Post
in8

2005-11-11, 00:15

I have a close family member on the disease prevention control board for the city of Toronto so i get a nice inside scoop on SARS and bird flu every now and then Anyways, they(the board) have been watching the bird flu for several years now trying to predict when the outbreak would happen but that aside one of thier latest issues was trying to decide that in the event of a pandemic who in the Toronto area would get the vaccine and who wouldn't (i.e. nurses, police, politicians, etc.) that was really scary to hear and think about.

Even with this information and understanding how much of a threat this is, I do think the media is overhyping the whole bird flu but the hype is causing preventatory meaures that are needed and hopefully will dramatically decrease any risks.

Another little tidbit of info that was passed my way from that family member was that several other cities in the US had outbreaks of SARS much worse then Toronto but they saw how it damaged the city and its reputation so they kept it locked down from the media tighter than fort knox. lol