View Single Post
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2017-11-06, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
What’s not true? Is Trump not president? Are republicans not in the majority in both congressional houses?
They are and likely will be after the midterms as well.

Quote:
Trump won his election as did every sitting Congress person. Let’s not be pedantic. Everybody understands winning an election with a majority of congressional seats constitutes a mandate. Perhaps not a strong one, but in the land today it is the president and his party who are in the strongest position to pass bills and make laws, not their opponents.
As I mentioned above, there is no doubt that Republicans should govern and be held accountable for that governing. However we also live in an age of hyper partisanship. The "resist" movement isn't exactly interested in finding some common ground. Impeachment talk isn't exactly the basis of cooperation. If every executive action signed and law passed is met with attempts to tie it up in the courts, the voters will factor that into their midterm decision making.

Quote:
What the government does with that power is what’s interesting. How it got that power? Also interesting. The guy in charge has to answer the questions. The privilege and responsibility comes with the office.
Well no doubt questions will be asked and answers will be expected. I'm just not certain Democrats will have much to gain in the answers Republicans provide or and the Democrats have no answers to provide.

Latino Victory Fund

This ad is a prime example. America is made up of evil white guys driving around trying to run down and kill minorities in their pick up trucks. If you vote for Democrats, I guess you get an America where evil white guys aren't killing hundreds of minority children a day by running them down with their pick up trucks?

There isn't a plan or a policy. There isn't even a hope or a dream. This is just pure political fantasy and I guess if you vote the way they suggest you get..... reality but a Democratic claim that reality became that way due to them. "Hey America you elected us and now....hate is gone. No more kids being run down by pick up trucks!"

We elected Obama for eight years and now we have no more confederate memorials right? Oh wait, that distraction only became a concern after they were out of power and we needed to show how the whole country is the Klan.

Andrew Sullivan wrote about it better than I can.

Quote:
Are they capable of focusing on economic populism and a defense of the working classes against GOP plutocracy? At this point, the answer is no.

This is not a good omen. If Gillespie wins, or the result is close, it means the Trump-transformed GOP is electorally viable in every swing district in 2018. That it could win in the state where actual white supremacists marched this past summer and when the president is 20 points underwater is a sobering reminder of the actual state of play in our politics. I can only hope it’s a wake-up call to the Dems. In 2017, they are either useless or actively counterproductive in the struggle to resist right-authoritarianism. They have learned nothing from 2016. Their intelligentsia seems determined to ensure that no midwestern whites ever vote for the party again. Their public faces are still Hillary Clinton, Chuck Schumer, and Nancy Pelosi. They still believe that something other than electoral politics — the courts, the press, the special counsel — will propel them back to power. They can’t seem to grasp the nettle of left-populism. And they remain obsessed with a Russia scandal that most swing voters don’t give a damn about.

They think they are “woke.” They are, in fact, in a political coma.
You know what you need to win an election? Votes! If you shun and hate every single person who doesn't support your orthodoxy 100% and actually label them as a hate group, a terrorist, as something sub-human, you won't get their vote a couple years later. Likewise you mentally won't be able to even design a policy or law to want to help them BECAUSE YOU HATE THEM. The reason a Trump wins is because the blue wall had a bunch of former Obama voters who need jobs, need help and they can't get that help because they are white and thus can't possibly need help due to white privilege. Instead of pursuing some economic populism, giving some help to all folks who need it, you double down and now call them racists and terrorists.

Gee I forgot we need voters. Trump didn't build his wall yet due to a dozen lawsuits. Can we have your vote now Mr and Mrs Deplorable, Bitter Clinger Klan Member Terrorist?

Good luck with that.