View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-03, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Dumbbells?
For strength training? Yes. I recommend Bowflex SelectTech 552 ($349 for a set of 2). Not terribly cheap, but you get a lot in a small space.

Add in pushups, crunches, free squats, etc., and do a bunch of them*. Once you can do 50+ pushups, 100+ crunches, and 100+ squats in less than 30 minutes, you'll know you are making serious progress. (I now interlace mine inside weight-lifting rest periods. So, in an hour and a half I get in my entire weight program, plus all that other stuff.

Remember to stretch for 10-15 minutes before you start.

15 minutes of stretching, 1/2 hour of weight training, and 1/2 hour of them other bits, and you can get in a solid workout. Do that M/W/F and take a nice, long walk or a brisk run T/TH. Rest on Saturday, do chores on Sunday.

Wash, rinse, repeat. And get an app like Lose It** to track your intake/output. That has helped me a lot just to sort out where the calories are coming from, and where they might be going.

* Don't be afraid to start with sissy-stuff if your body isn't strong enough for the real thing. Pushups from the knees are no joke if your upper body is out of shape. You won't make any gains unless you can go through the entire range of motion. Learn good technique and concentrate on that rather than rep-count.

** I use the free version. $25/month is just too much otherwise.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)