View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-12, 16:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
The reporter stated that it is not a product. So, what does that leave?

- A political position?

- A humanitarian effort?

- Something to do with energy efforts?

- Apple is building a new manufacturing facility in...
I feel pretty good about any of those first four.

If not a product, it could be service-related. Did that rumor about the bundle (music, news, Apple+, etc.) ever come to be? Wasn't that talked about/expected at one of those fall events?

It sounds like the interview was scheduled well before last week's idiocy in DC, so his comments about that were after-the-fact commentary, so I don't think it's something along those lines in any huge, overt way (political).

It could be something related to privacy? Although how that would be bigger or better than a product announcement is beyond me. But it's Gayle King - who I put right there with Joy Behar, Kathie Lee and Hoda, etc.

Or some new partnership (that's why I think they might be formally announcing the Hyundai thing and copping to the whole "yeah, we're doing a car, and here's why..." (which would encompass some of the above...energy efforts, a new manufacturing facility, and, I suppose, it could be seen as political, to those who make such things political.

CES is (or was?) underway, and they're not there, so is this their "steal the thunder/spotlight" move to where they let the other thing take place and then pop up afterwards with their own hype/plans?

But, again, if it's not a product...who really gives a shit?

I know there are other things, but Apple, primarily, like it or not, is a "stuff" company. Yeah, they have values and initiatives and are concerned about this and that, but for King to frame whatever's coming as "bigger, better" than a product announcement is tough to wrap my head around.

Cook surely isn't retiring, and Ive is long out the door.

A puzzler.

I will, however, put $10 on it being nowhere near "bigger, better" than an outright product announcement.

It'll likely be something cultural/social, with a political tinge to it (brought into sharper focus by last week's nonsense).

That's where my money's going.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-01-12 at 16:26.