View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-01-12, 19:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I don't see it happening (what about people who don't subscribe — if I buy an iPhone 12 today, for how many years do I get free bugfixes? That implies an engineering complexity they have so far mostly tried to avoid), but I would like that. Not because Apple needs the money (they don't), but because it sends a signal that software is allowed to cost money.

We've seen a devaluation of software in the recent two decades, and not only has it driven many indies out of the market (most people just can't survive making a 99-cent app, sorry), but it has also led to abusive business models like ads with tracking, and consumable in-app purchases. Bring back $10 iOS games and $20 productivity apps.
So you believe that the cost of the OS isn’t already built into the price of the devices Apple sells? As far as I’m concerned it is. If they went subscription my current Apple devices would be my last, no doubt about it.

Anyway. Yes I agree with others, it could be Tim Cooke, or maybe someone else high up retiring. It does seem like a very un Apple like thing. Makes sense with that line of thinking.