View Single Post
autodata
hustlin

2005-02-11, 12:37

In defense of firefox on mac, particularly with safari as the apple browser, let's compare:
  • Changing default web browser is done in safari prefs (huh?)
  • Safari throws tabs into a menu if there are too many. Did I tell it to do that? No. So why is it doing it?
  • While firefox lacks spellcheck in text boxes, it does have undo while safari does not.
  • Again in text boxes, using buttons or shortcuts inserts where the cursor is in firefox, while safari puts it at the end of the text no matter where the cursor is.
  • If you have multiple tabs open and accidently tell the window to close, firefox will warn you while with safari you are SOL.
  • Safari's getting rss? Welcome to the party. Firefox's live bookmarks have already eliminated my need for an aggregator.
  • Good luck with the large images in safari. The mozilla browsers, however:

• Not only is it absolutely fantastic for blocking ads, but you can use it to easily get urls of imbedded media.

• Safari users don't know what this ^^ is, and for that they suffer.
  • Want to search a web page, rendered or the source? In safari it's a total chore with this thing floating around the screen like a fruit fly. In firefox it's locked to the bottom of the window and has everything you need:
  • If you are a safari user, watch out for sites that use java applets. They seem to crash safari 20-30% of the time.
  • "Type a word of phrase," safari tells me.

The point being that while there are no doubt major improvements needed, sometimes as a user you have to deal with little UI quirks for needed tools and stability. What's more annoying, needing to download a large image from safari and look at it in preview just to see more than a corner of it, or ignoring a useless "bring all to front menu." Is it more annoying to have my browser crash when I have 10 tabs open (some of which are pushed into a menu) or that I can't look at the about box when the bookmark manager is open?

Even with all of this, though, I totally and completely agree with everything you've posted about Firefox, Brad.

Last edited by autodata : 2005-02-11 at 12:50.