View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-12, 00:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodata
In defense of firefox...
Well, I said from the get-go that I use and love Firefox... on my PCs and that I really didn't mean this as a rant or attack on Firefox. I know all about the great things Firefox can do.

Yet, I choose not to use it because of, one, all of those irking bugs I mentioned above and, two, I don't need or even want all those dozens or hundreds or however many extensions there are. I know Safari has problems, but they're not as invasive IMHO as, say, the typing problems in the Mozilla-based apps (important to me because, obviously, I do a lot of typing in my browsers).

The point of my post was just to point out exactly why I've said I don't like Firefox. I don't mean to convert anyone by it; I just want to get these issues out under the public eye of scrutiny so that maybe the developers will take notice.

So what if the About box won't open under certain conditions or the preferences don't look right? Well, for a long time I've firmly believed that fit and finish can really have a major impact. A lot of the Mac version of Firefox feels like it's an afterthought which, sadly, it actually is. I'm in no position right now to volunteer time with the Firefox devs; it would take forever just to learn my way around the existing code before I could even add anything of my own.

I just want a good browser that plays nicely with Mac OS X. I don't want something with options for configuring every last bit or with extensions to modify every element or add oodles of extra features. I just want a good browser. Right now, the two that do that best are Safari and OmniWeb.

Firefox certainly has its place. You've shown that you're a prime target. It's just that its place is not on my Dock.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.