View Single Post
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-01-15, 14:30

Thanks for the detailed answers... looks like everything is in a total state of flux for now. Some follow up questions then...

Quote:
Depends. Most content should be native 16x9, but some may not and some others may be 4x3. ESPNHD broadcasts in 4x3.
How is this even possible? I thought 4:3 HDTV is a contradiction in terms. All HDTV is by definition wide angle of view, isn't it? Even when ESPN used to have hockey, they would show a simulated view of why it's better to watch in HD, and it was very clearly a 16:9 box. So... I'm confused there. I've never seen any material that suggests HD shows can be broadcast in 4:3. Even in the FCS manuals and software, anything that's 4:3 is referred to as standard definition, and 16:9 high def. Never seen "high def 4:3".

Quote:
Also keep in mind that some type of display technologies are better at changing resolutions. LCD at lower than native resolution suck, but CRTs and rear projections are much better.
...and plasmas?

Quote:
Make sure that any set you buy, if you are going for a 1080i/p set, has 1080 as a native resolution, otherwise you're paying more for nothing.
How would one ascertain this? Is there a "native" logo or emblem that you can be sure of, or is this more marketing BS territory, as with computer LCD response times, or scanner "dynamic range"? That would be a fucking nightmare...

...into the light of a dark black night.