View Single Post
HOM
The Elder™

2006-01-15, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
How is this even possible? I thought 4:3 HDTV is a contradiction in terms. All HDTV is by definition wide angle of view, isn't it? Even when ESPN used to have hockey, they would show a simulated view of why it's better to watch in HD, and it was very clearly a 16:9 box. So... I'm confused there. I've never seen any material that suggests HD shows can be broadcast in 4:3. Even in the FCS manuals and software, anything that's 4:3 is referred to as standard definition, and 16:9 high def. Never seen "high def 4:3".
When they are not broadcasting a sporting event, they have big black bars on the left and right. It's like 'widescreen' DVDs, except the complete opposite.
Quote:
...and plasmas?
Plasmas have a set resolution and any deviation from that, beit up or down, will result in some quality loss. Will it be enough for you to notice? That's up to your eyes.
Quote:
How would one ascertain this? Is there a "native" logo or emblem that you can be sure of, or is this more marketing BS territory, as with computer LCD response times, or scanner "dynamic range"? That would be a fucking nightmare...
There is no 'native' logo, but you need to research the fuck out of your purchase. It's like buying a car or a computer. You should know every spec, all the positives and negative of a set before buying it. One thing you can be on the lookout for is "Full HD" that's the new marketingspeak for 1080p.

As djfusion mentioned most HD plasmas are 1366x768. Higher than 720p, but less than 1080i/p. Also be on the lookout for cheap plasmas that are only EDTVs. No reason to drop $2000 on a 42" plasma just to find out that it's not HD.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!