View Single Post
xionja

2004-09-13, 20:01

So everybody got back to my high school this year, and their is a new principle, with all new rules. As far as high school security our school was average, guys on carts riding the perimeters, complicated hall pass systems, ect ect. Not everything was strictly enforced.

The new principle is famous for having turned around a few inner cities schools in Baltimore, and it seems like he is treating our school similarly. The issue is though is that Ithaca High, is a generally average, white, middle class school. It is actually academicly one of the best in the country, and though their were some "race tensions" last year it a really well working school, really diverse.

So coming back to school this year, it is like all of our privilages have been taken away.

New Rules:

Upperclassmen can no longer leave school campus during free periods, to like get lunch or something.

It takes 10 weeks to get approved to get an 'extension' (permission to be off campus 1st or 8th period) and some people will never be approved because of grades, history of attendance, or having gotten in trouble before.

We are not allowed to eat outside anymore in the courtyard

Free periods must be spent in the library, cafeteria or activities. You must have a pass to be in the hallways at anytime, even to go from the library to the cafeteria.

New dress code, really strict. No more tank tops, no tight pants, or mini skirts. No midriff showing at all, or boxers, underwear ect. . . The crotch in guys pants has the be higher that the minimum for miniskirts, however far hands reach.

No eating within classrooms, even if the student does not have a lunch period.

No 'dirty dancing' at dances, and anyone who shows up under the influence gets in trouble.

All privaleges can be revoked at anytime for anything. All penalties are tougher. Out of school suspension can be given to students who go against the dress code more than 3 times. The deffinitions of insubordinate have been made much more broad.

The new principle is a real dick, he personally walks the hallways and gets kids in trouble. He gave a kid a referal for walking into his office and not taking his hat off. Even teachers do not like him very much.

So the question is, will a generally complacent and happy community just sorta bend to the requests of an asshole, or will their be dissagreement, and a change of the rules? A revolution? I see a potential for the latter, especially if the new dresscodes are enforced. (Imagine an announcement on the PA system in the middle of class instructing teachers to send all kids in violation of the dresscode down to the office)

Many of the kids (especially girls) in violation of the dresscode are ones who would normally bend to whatever rules their are, but I have already heard chatter among them that they don't give a fuck, and they're gonna keep wearing whatever they want.

I see it essentially as a little society, government experiment, and am quite intrigued. I used to go to a mini little freak hippy school. This is my second year (kinda, second semester really) at the big school. I guess I still see it from an observers view.

Another question, do you think I could get away with distributing, skimpy tank tops for the girls, and boxers for the boys that would read "I am Mr. Wilsons School Lunch" (mista wilson is the new pricep)

The shirts would be normal, but the with the words 'School Lunch' at the bottom, and all the words on the boxers would be at the top. You get the idea. There would also be a graffic of a tray and milk carton. So no one would get the wrong idea so crude. . .