View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-13, 23:36

I'm with pscates. None of those rules seem out of line at all.

Quote:
Upperclassmen can no longer leave school campus during free periods, to like get lunch or something.
So? High schoolers shouldn't be leaving during the day unless they have a legitimate part time job. I don't pay taxes for kids to drive off during the day and kill someone because they are inexperienced drivers and are in a rush to get back on time. Years ago my high school let kids leave school for lunch. That ended pretty quickly when five of them died. Good riddance to a privilege that never made any sense to begin with.

Quote:
It takes 10 weeks to get approved to get an 'extension' (permission to be off campus 1st or 8th period)
Again, unless you have a job or are sick or have some official function, why should you be late or leaving early?

Quote:
We are not allowed to eat outside anymore in the courtyard
Okay, I could see you complaining about this if the kids have always put away their trash and never been loud and disruptive out there.

Quote:
Free periods must be spent in the library, cafeteria or activities. You must have a pass to be in the hallways at anytime, even to go from the library to the cafeteria.
Again, what's wrong with this? Isn't this how most schools have been since the beginning of time?

Quote:
New dress code, really strict. No more tank tops, no tight pants, or mini skirts. No midriff showing at all, or boxers, underwear ect. . . The crotch in guys pants has the be higher that the minimum for miniskirts, however far hands reach.
As it should be. Kids today do flaunt way too much. I'm just 22 and I already think it's a disgrace how much kids get away with today. School isn't a place to flaunt/sell your body for sex; it's an institution for learning. It should be treated with the respect as such.

Quote:
No eating within classrooms, even if the student does not have a lunch period.
Isn't this how most schools have been since the beginning of time? Even in college most professors won't let you eat in their class. It's messy and it's disruptive. Oh, it's all fun and games until Susie spills her Pepsi all over Jimmy's semester-long term paper or Tommy blows up his chemistry table when he drips mayonnaise on the bunsen burner.

Quote:
No 'dirty dancing' at dances, and anyone who shows up under the influence gets in trouble.
Well, the first half does seem a bit silly, but the second half enforces a violation of the law. If you're drinking underage, you'd better be carted away from any public functions.

Quote:
All privaleges can be revoked at anytime for anything. All penalties are tougher. Out of school suspension can be given to students who go against the dress code more than 3 times. The deffinitions of insubordinate have been made much more broad.
Obviously, judging from your thorough post, they've done a good job making the rules well known. So, no one can claim ignorance for breaking them more than once, right?

Quote:
I see it essentially as a little society, government experiment, and am quite intrigued.
Yes, high school is a society socially among the students. As far as the administration goes, it should for all intents and purposes be considered a dictatorship. Students don't and shouldn't have any say in how the rules are made; they don't know any better. Public schools operate on the money given by thousands of taxpayers. They are your bosses. Kids under 18 very rarely if ever fall under that category.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.