View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-13, 23:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by xionja
The main issue i have, I think I may have forgotton to mention is that offenses like these and this program Mosaic 2000 follow kids through college and even jobs. So if somebody gets in trouble for having an electric device in school, let say they get in trouble a few times, its permently in their record.
Welcome to the real world! Screw up here and no one will ever let you live it down!

I assume by "electric device" you mean cell phones and pagers, right? Again, what do kids need these for in class? Even in college, you'll get booted out of the room if your cell phone interrupts the professor. For that matter, I've seen some teachers grab the cell phone and start talking to the person on the other line to beat the student in the head with the old Clue Stick™.

It's a matter of respect and maintaining a structured environment. It's not that the rules are getting any harsher; it's that the students are finding new ways to cause distractions.

Seriously. High school is when kids need to grow up and start acting like little adults. That means learning to conform to the rules of society. A lot of kids need a major kick in the pants to motivate them and that's why these punishments seem so severe. In the real world, if you show up to most jobs in a skimpy spaghetti-strap showing your midriff or you just wander away from the office for no good reason or you interrupt a meeting to talk to Billy or Mary on the cell phone, you'll risk losing your job and thereby endanger your own and your family's well being.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.