View Single Post
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-04-23, 09:24

well two things:

1. the africianized bees are not the problem...well they are a problem, but not for a lack of bees....arizona has only africianized bees...no non africianized bees left anymore...but there are plenty of them and they still pollinate...so yes they take over, but they also keep a hive just like our more common european bees...

2. i have a hive in the wall of my back yard. they are italian bees...very docile. my wife is actually allergic to wasps (probably bees too) and carries an epi-pen. we have thought of having them removed from time to time, but they have never stung anybody and they are so useful to the ecosystem that i hate to do anything about them...but they are a nice strong colony so far (last year they swarmed 3 times as the wall only allows so many bees before it gets over crowded).

this was one of the swarms...a bee ball....all bees, no hive with a queen somewhere in the middle....

when they swarm like this they are very docile (no hive, no honey, no brood to protect). so you just put a box under the swarm and shake it off the tree into the box and take them to a new home...

here is the bee guy taking the swarm...he almost forgot to put on his mask, i had to remind him...

still he didn't even wear gloves

i have heard of mites killing the bees, also genetic corn, pesticldes etc etc...hadn't heard of the magnetic flip...interesting theory....i kinda actually hope the flip comes in my lifetime....would like to see what, if anything, happens during it...

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough