View Single Post
Matsu
Veteran Member

2011-01-11, 20:55

Yeah, the market's the real determiner of what gets built. Personally, I'd take a full frame 35mm DSLR, but I'm not paying full freight for a new one at this point in the cycle, not even for a used one. Not until we see it's replacement. Buying any D700 now is too much of a guess from the sale-resale end of things. So we wait.

The design build cycle for sensors looks to me that over the span of one generation of full frame sensor we see multiple APSC revisions, and then, just at the point where the overall performance of APSC seems to catch-up, we get a new generation of full frame. Well, APSC sits at 16-18MP right now, and with dynamic range and ISO performance better than old generation 35mm, and pretty close to the current generation.

Sony is suggesting a 24MP APSC soon... If it's time for a next generation of full frame sensors, my guess is we'll see them before or at PMA in Sept. My hope is that somehow this gets the major players to intro a $2K body (street), even that body rocks revisions to the older 21 and 24MP Canon/Sony sensors.