Thread: iPad-Mini Rumor
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-04-16, 11:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Apple's only going to make a smaller iPad if they think that people actually want a smaller iPad, which is not to be confused with just wanting a cheaper iPad. If people just want a cheaper iPad, Apple could just start selling the iPad 2 for $299 next year, or whatever.

So far, I haven't seen much indication that the masses want a smaller iPad.
Well, unfortunately Steve is no longer around to let them know, and to sell them on it.

But seriously...the "masses" didn't know they wanted a 10" touch-based tablet until just two short years ago, remember? Surely you recall the lead-up to that, and the calls for failure and "why?!" and "what does it replace?", "who the hell wants to type on an onscreen keyboard?", "Apple thinks they're going to take on the netbook market with THIS?!? Hahahaha!" and so on.

Don't leave it solely to customers to "know what they want". They rarely do because they're looking at it from a narrow, familiar "this is what I've always known and used" perspective, which is how most of us operate. Human nature. It took someone else, with some vision and the means to get it done (remember the iPad was being developed long ago, well before the iPhone, according to Steve himself). How many new devices or users did Apple create or help define over the years, especially when Steve was in top-form and in the mix?

I'm not being rhetorical or smarty-pants, mind you.

What I'm saying is if Apple put it out there, it's going to sell. And if the price is right, and it's no strain/sweat on developers (keeping the familiar 1024x768), I think it could be huge. In the same way the iPod mini and nano took off, even though the larger, traditional iPod was "better", on paper, in most of the ways that counted.

The "masses" want another season of The Jersey Shore and a new Britney or Mariah album, FFS. So they're not to be trusted or counted on to be the "guiding force" in what should be. Their job is to simply recognize a good idea when they see it, and line up to buy it.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-04-16 at 11:32.