Thread: iPad-Mini Rumor
View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-04-16, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Ford's line on the faster horse customers wanted is doubly insightful, though. It doesn't just suggest that customers don't quite know what they want; it also suggests that they are, subconsciously, aware of the problems they encounter with what they currently have.
Exactly.

I'm not saying that Apple should, like, ask the masses what they want, and build exactly that, which seems to be the argument ad absurdum that pscates is trying to attribute to me, with comments about Jersey Shore and the like. I'm certainly not a fan of crowdsourcing and design by committee. But Apple does have to make something that the masses do want. Right? That's how they've gotten to where they are now, by doing just that, again and again and again. I didn't think that would be a controversial statement.

I think most people would prefer a $299 iPad 2 to an equivalent iPad mini. I think the iPad mini would feel like a step back, in ways that the iPod mini and nano didn't. All else being equal, shrinking a pocketable device is an improvement — and for users with less than 1,000 songs, all else was equal. But the iPad is just not a comparable device.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong