View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-09-28, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
• USB4 Version 2.0 is a good bet. Don't think the new FireWire...ahem...Thunderbolt will be ready.
Maybe, but I fail to see how it matters.

Quote:
• I figure M2 SSDs are the new Zip Drives of the future, so I think some kind of front-access port to plug-in drives might show up.
Nope. Apple isn't going to put in user-accessible "SSD slots" unless they become ubiquitous (and obvious). Besides, such a thing already exists on all modern Macs: It's called USB-C.

Quote:
• Smaller form factor, but not by much.
Depends on their PCI/GPU support. If there's no support for PCI, then the case can be half the size. If there is, then the same enclosure makes sense.

Quote:
• Hopefully, user-upgradable RAM
Nope. The M-series processor line should be an indicator that Apple is all-in on Unified Memory. I don't think they're letting go of that, like, ever! You want RAM, buy it up front! I can see Apple offering as many as 4 Ultra processors, which means RAM should top out at ~512GB, although it is possible that the M2 Ultra will itself top out at 256GB, which means you can have as much as 1024GB of RAM, and it will only cost you all the nickels.

Quote:
• A less-expensive version that takes the place of the Mac Studio with M1 Ultra.
This is something I'm hoping for. Not bothered if the Studio is a temporary "iMac Pro".

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)