View Single Post
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2018-07-03, 04:26

Good!

Among many others, we’re missing pscates2.0.

I’d also like to know where curiousuburb, our eleventh-oldest member, went. I fear the worst given his Homeric struggle with cancer, and yet I thought he would have arranged for someone to tell us in that case. Maybe he carefully opted not to do that.

As for the forum, it had its time when the world was young, and it was a good time; but I think it’s over. That’s okay! I don’t mind being reminded of the days when I thought Apple could change the world as it changed my world with a 12-inch iBook G4. It did later change the world with the iPhone, but that turned out to be change of the wrong sort and the start of my disillusion with ‘technology’ and eventual distrust of it. Looking around today we see that Silicon Valley culture has spread across the world at terrible cost to happiness in the workplace, tech has enabled unthinkable politics to become mainstream, inequality is worse than at any time since the 1920s with no audible alternative thought leadership, and we’re screwing the planet and anyone who’s slightly different from us with extraordinary disdain for the consequences. And since journalists and intellectuals have been replaced by charlatans and social media influencers, it’s hard to imagine a way out in the forseeable future. There may be a major reset in my lifetime, but in the meantime grimness extends as far as the eye can discern in any direction.

Of course my cosy lifestyle in Paris does not immediately appear grim. I don’t have much money but neither do I work very much, and that is allowing me to write a book on the intersection of cycling and consumerism.

Nice to hear from the posters above. I wish everyone well with their struggles, duties, and surfeit of choice.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.