View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-06, 16:33

Wasn't sure where to put this - this thread or the Mandalorian one - but since it mostly pertains to The Rise of Skywalker...

My sister has been telling me all about The Mandalorian.

I'll absolutely eat my hat if that seventh episode, released December 18, doesn't pay off in the movie in some way.

- We know Palpatine is back, no surprise/spoiler...his voice (important later) is all over the trailers/TV spots

- We know that "Force ghost", at least in the movies, which is really all I consider, is a Jedi thing (Yoda tells Obi-Wan at the end of Revenge of the Sith about Qui-Gon having learned the "path to immortality", which I took to mean that it wasn't some longstanding, centuries-old Jedi trait? It's something relatively new that's been discovered by Qui-Gon 20 or so years prior to A New Hope? To my knowledge, it isn't something Sith do or know? If so, we've not seen it across five other movies, post ROTS timeline (Episodes 4-8), right?

- Maybe some species, like whatever Yoda is, it's learned in that time between ROTS and ROTJ are more powerful in that particular ability? Or just more powerful in the Force, period, by birth, right out of the gate? Why else would people be after a little baby if not for some sort of biological/DNA/blood/mojo type of reason?!?

- Baby Yoda is being sought by some not-quite-benevolent scientists/doctors(?) with (possible) Empire and/or Sith connections...is that what all you are gathering as you've watched? They are bad guys, right? It's not like the space Red Cross or Doctors Without Borders, I'm assuming? I mean, Werner Herzog doesn't quite give anyone the warm and fuzzies in anything he does...I doubt he's some humanitarian.

- The Mandalorian takes place after ROTJ and the Empire is either nonexistent or there are little low-key, loyal (or demented) factions still about (see previous entry)...you know, just like there are still a-hole Nazi twats (Twazis?) here on this planet, 70+ years after-the-fact.

- They're probably going to want to (and succeed in) experimenting on the little guy and that somehow ties into just how in the hell Palpatine, after falling down that shaft and "exploding"/evaporating, shows up in this movie. They've yet to show him in any of the trailers, teasers or TV/online promos, so he maybe be translucent and blue (red?) glowing and not truly "in the flesh"...there's a reason why he's not shown in any of the marketing/merchandising (to my knowledge). If he's all blue/red and glow-y, then that gives away something...the first Sith/non-Jedi to be able to do that whole Force ghost thing? Which would explain a few things, wouldn't it?

If these scientist/doctor types - since it's now established horseshit canon that the Force is biological and in one's blood and so forth - could've extracted some sort of Jedi/Yoda species/Force mojo from this cute little baby that is directly responsible for Palpatine's return/existence? My fear is that epiosode 7 of The Mandalorian reveals some kicker that pays off a couple of days later in The Rise of Skywalker, relating to Palpatine. And then the next, and final, episode of The Mandalorian, one week later (and 5-6 days after TROS has been out in the world) we see the heartbreaking result of it...little baby Yoda is dead (or permanently messed up) from whatever they did to him that allowed Palpatine to show up three decades later. The TV show may opt to end on a somber note, making everyone ponder that horrible price paid to allow Palpatine to show up and do whatever nonsense he does in Episode IX.

Again, I don't think anyone was expecting any sort of Force-related plotting in a TV show that had been positioned as nothing but "Wild West bad-ass/bounty hunter adventure" since it was first announced. When that little baby was revealed at the end of the first episode, that changed everything. We're never going to get away from the Force in any Star Wars project, and that's probably for the best. We don't have to have Sith, Jedi, Empire, Rebels, First Order, lightsabers, etc. but the Force is part of that universe. Literally.

They're gonna have to explain all this Palpatine business in some way that makes some level of sense and that can't be any more idiotic than some of the other things they've dangled out there since 2015. And it's just interesting to me that a TV show that is running/timed simultaneously in such a way is actually centered around some nefarious types wanting their hands on a certain species that has already shown its Force sensitivity/powers, even as an "infant" (which goes to the above, that maybe the Yoda species is learned to be blessed with a higher-than-average Force - I can't bring myself to say that "m" word - juice, and so...

I just find the timing of it all a little too cute and perfectly dovetailed.

PS - With the way the "Internet loses it" and "Twitter explodes" over some quasi-celebrity "accidentally" showing her tit on the red carpet, I can only imagine the meltdown to come if that cute little baby is hurt or misused in any way. After all, people - adults - openly wail and writhe on their basement floor on YouTube when too-stupid-to-be-alive-this-long characters finally bite it on The Walking Dead, so I don't even want to imagine the outcry/hysterics if...well, you know.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2019-12-06 at 17:09.