View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-16, 15:18

All very interesting (movie hasn't premiered yet, so I'm still safe here for a bit).

I just assumed the appeal of the Disney+ thing was that everything they own would be on it. I didn't imagine there would be stragglers, still showing at competitor services. Weird. But who knows what kind of behind-the-scenes deal-making goes on with these things. I guess I should be surprised there's as much on Disney+ as there is.

I think these streaming things are eventually just going to aggravate and exhaust most normal people who realize they're not that hard-up for entertainment, 24/7. I know people who pay for Netflix, Apple+, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon, in addition to HBO, Showtime, etc. All they seem to do is bitch and squawk about various aspects of it all...who doesn't have what, the overlap, the complete absence of something they're seeking, etc.

And my "well maybe you shouldn't be watching TV this much" always goes over like a poot in a confession booth...

No matter what, it seems like Disney could've taken steps to ensure that this was available on their just-launched service, weeks/days before the final chapter in the saga is released. I don't care that 8 has no real ties/hooks to 9 (it does, they're just stupid). But it just looks bad/unplanned. They can release it on December 26, but not 7-10 days before? That's a little tough to understand/swallow, frankly. They knew, ages ago, when The Rise of Skywalker would be opening, so they should've done what was necessary to make sure the entire saga was available on their service in the lead-up to 9 (at least a full week). Hell, it would almost be better if it weren't coming for another 1-2 months. But less than a week just comes across as arbitrary asshattery (or a major ball-drop on someone's part..."oops, I thought The Rise of Skywalker opened on December 27? Sorry...".

Come on.

So, then, at some point (by the end of summer 2020), anything you want to watch, Disney-owned, should wind up at Disney+? I know that's why many people signed up, for the Star Wars or Pixel (or Marvel) access. Are they going to always be chasing their tails?

PS - There's no way in hell The Last Jedi is "making money" anywhere. Let's not be ridiculous. That movie has surely made every dime it's going to at this point. The most contrarian people I know, who'd normally say they love it just to monkey with me, don't even like it.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2019-12-16 at 15:34.