View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-01-23, 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
That isn't storytelling.
No, it's not.

It took George Lucas several years to hash out his vision for the prequels. And that before he ever wrote an actual script. He wrote down his thoughts for a very long time before he ever got serious enough to start the process rolling. Then he got his teams involved, had meetings, began the script work and knew exactly where and when so and so was going to become involved. The fact that he was by then surrounded by oodling yes-men … yes-women … yes-persons … yes-Kennedy's? there was no one around to challenge his immature dialogue. Still, there is at least consistency. There is consistency in dialogue, in costuming, in effects, in music, in you name it. They feel like one story told in three parts (badly).

I remember an experiment we did in 9th-grade where a few of the class were sent out into the hall. Then a story was told to a student inside the class. Then, one person was invited back in from the hall and the first student told this student the story. Then, the next person came in and the second told the third and so on until the story had gone all the way around the group. By the last person, the story bore absolutely no resemblance to the original story. It was pure garbage by that point. That's how the sequels feel, like no one was communicating with anyone else, and the entire thing suffers for it. Clearly, the sequel trilogy is more a reflection of the writer's disconnected personalities than of Star Wars itself.

So, that said, I must now rank the trilogies on a 5-star scale as I have ranked the movies:

Original Trilogy *****

Prequel Trilogy **

Sequel Trilogy

The sequels are way down here because it deserves no stars at all. It's that bad.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-01-23 at 18:20.