View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-08-30, 18:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
I think we should just aggressively trim the world and let the terrain regen with the new 1.8 algorithms. I'd be willing to help smooth the borders.
What 709 was referring to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
We probably can't ever do the "deep" prune of the world map that I'd suggested previously, either before or after the new generator comes into place. You and I will also never be able to do selective in-game region regeneration after the update (at least not in old areas). Even if we did the deep prune today, a week or more in advance, we'd have to "fill out" the world again to a safe perimeter before the upgrade to be sure stray holes get recreated with the old terrain generator.
My deep pruning is pretty aggressive and will leave holes peppered across the world. I'll upload a before/after example here in a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
That said, Brad, what do you use to trim chunks? I have to do this on my server as well.
I wrote my own program that reads each chunk, checks the full chunk for blocks of certain types, and indicates if that chunk is "safe" to delete. This is a very single-purpose utility that is a quick pile of hacks bound in duct tape, and I don't intend to post it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.