Thread: E3 2012
View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-06-05, 13:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I saw something about a new Star Wars game ("1313"?), but that's all I picked up on. I don't game, and I don't know what "1313" means. Is that a year? 1313 BBY? The Millennium Falcon's license plate number?

All I can say is that it better not be about the Clone Wars...I think we've more than mined that vein for all it is worth.

"Hey, let's tell some more 'Anakin, Obi-Wan and clone-troopers fight some more battle droids and yet another new Sith character' stories!"

Uh, how about let's not.
Everybody thought it was going to be about Boba Fett because I guess he was born in 1313 or something, but it turns out that it takes place in the underground of Coruscant, and "1313" is the level/depth. It still has bounty hunters though, I think. Just not Boba Fett.

They're apparently approaching it like it's a Big Damn Deal, though. I think they want to make 1313 it's own series/sub-universe, rather than just a "regular" spinoff. So it's not Clone Wars, but if they have their way, 1313 might be the next Clone Wars-type thing. I guess. But it seems to have more original characters.

The production values seem to be much higher than most Star Wars games. Most "licensed" games are quick cash-ins — no more an artistic contribution to the universe they're based on than lunch boxes or other merch — but they seem to be trying to avoid that with the most recent Star Wars games. I think the developers genuinely see video games as a medium in which the Star Wars saga can continue to be told.

I'm not really a Star Wars person, but it's neat to see a universe Take Games Seriously.