View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-10-24, 04:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit
anyone think there is a snowball's chance in hell of this ever making it to the mac?
i use it at work all the time and even over dialup, it is more responsive than many vnc programs ive used:
http://www.famatech.com/products/radmin/
As far as I know, radmin draws its speed from using native, direct calls to GDI, Windows' graphics layer. That means that, by design, it's almost as fast -- bar the network latency -- as using the local machine. It also means, however, that it's not portable at all.

Sure, something similar could be done for Quartz; in fact, I hear NeXTstep did have something like radmin, using native, direct DisplayPostScript calls. Apple apparently does feel, however, that Remote Desktop is good enough.

Doesn't stop third parties from working on this, however.

But what it boils down to is:
1) if you want cross-platform, you have to settle for the greatest common denominator, which VNC represents rather well (hence Apple's support for that in recent Remote Desktop versions).
2) if you want speed, you need to make sacrifices. You'll get the highest speed and benefit the most from OS optimizations by, well, using those exact optimizations. But that means cross-platform is out of question.