View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-01, 07:13

Two things:

1. It's his money and he can do whatever the hell he wants. But considering his background and leanings, I'd be surprised to learn he hasn't been making some sizable "gifts" to some select, heartfelt causes (he seems like the "give to a cause" type, like a lot of NoCal sandals 'n' granola types who became gazillionaires...gotta assuage some of that "oh no, I've gone and made too much money, maannn" guilt ), which leads to...

2. Being the way he is (private and not too keen on making it all about him and his home life or life outside of Apple), we have no idea what goes on, and what he's done, or does.

Fact is, I don't give a rip what people do with their money (well those that have earned it anyway...when I'm helping foot the bill, I'd prefer you put your children and bills first, over cigarettes and lottery tickets; but that's another thread). And Steve Jobs has. Fact is, if he never donated a nickel to the typical charities and causes we normally think of, I don't care. He, and folks like him, have done far more in practical, real-world terms to simplify and enrich our lives.

I look at some of the things he's been involved with or has pushed and made available to the world, and, to me, that's just as meaningful as cutting a six-figure check to some "save the transgendered polar bears with sleep disorders" fund.

Sorry, but that's just true and how I think of it. It's not for me to say what people like him do with their money. Maybe he sees contributing in other ways (see above). Maybe, like me, he's not that fond of the whole idea of simply "throwing money at problems" (does that ever really work, or solve much?). It's his business. I don't want demanding busybodies in my face, telling me what I should do with the money I work for and earn.

I can figure that kind of stuff out totally on my own, and I do.

Same for Jobs and others in his ranks.

Oh, and I don't "hate" Bill Gates at all. But I think his company foists an inordinate amount of glitchy, pull-your-own-hair-out shit onto the world, and since they, to many, are "the only game in town", people in droves settle for such hassle and mediocrity. That such stuff has become "the standard" worldwide concerns me a bit more than whether or not Steve Jobs is giving enough of his money away. Which of those affects more people?

Maybe Gates is so charitable - and speaks out so much about it all - because he's hoping it buys him a break from introducing the Zune and a dozen other things to the world over the years? He's obviously trying to keep himself out of Hell, IMO.

The article itself even says it: Jobs and his wife could be donating obscene amounts to various charities and causes (and they probably are) completely anonymously. Mr. Kahney probably just finds it hard to grasp the idea of a person of Jobs' wealth and standing not being a Donald Trump-like attention whore. Maybe Jobs heart is in the right place, and he seeks no glory or attention for his contributions?

I don't make a big deal or scene out of the things I do in this area. Maybe some of us just prefer to do some things for the right reason, and not make it about ourselves, or seek attention for "charitable acts"? I don't give a rip who knows, and Jobs is most likely the same way. He probably realizes - and is secure enough to know - that he doesn't have to suck all the press and attention out of the Silicon Valley region; he gets enough strictly from his "heading up Apple" gig.