View Single Post
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-01-21, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
As I've mentioned in other threads, the Christian response to the Haiti earthquake (as in most large natural disasters) will likely register as one of the major interventions to the disaster short of the U.S. government response (because soldiers are crazy expensive.)

There must be hundreds of Christian groups operating in Haiti right now, though the biggies for disaster aid will be Samaritan's Purse, World Vision, the Salvation Army, Operation Blessing and the corresponding Baptist, Lutheran, and Christian Reformed disaster committees (the various names escape me right now.)
Good for them! Honestly!

But why ship useless books? I'm sorry, but if I were starving, dehydrated, and in need of antibiotics or simple painkillers, and some fucker handed me a *BOOK*, I'd beat him to death with it.

Quote:
So it's not the case that they aren't ferrying the needed supplies, but just that some idiot picked up on the fact that Bibles are included in many general disaster response kits and decided to make a big deal about that.
Every pound of Bible is a pound of food that isn't able to be shipped.

Priorities.

Quote:
I knew I'd take some flak for that comment, but made it anyway. It differs because Scientology is almost as crazy expensive as the military. There's a reason they only go after Big Business executives and Hollywood/Sports celebrities. People shell out megabucks in their quest to get to the religion's highest levels, and Haitians in general aren't going to have that kind of income potential. Ever.

Scientology wasn't in Haiti before the disaster. I can't see them remaining for any length of time afterward.
When the Christian churches no longer have gilded altars, Crystal Cathedrals, and television production companies, I'll buy that reasoning. Not before.

Religion is a business, no matter how hidden the balance sheets.