View Single Post
Matsu
Veteran Member

2011-02-03, 22:01

It would be great if we had a new even cheaper 24MP full frame to break the $2000 price floor. I hope that's the case in fact. For my money, if the camera manages to cross that affordability barrier, then even 18MP is enough (matching current state of the art APSC), but because the update cycle is so much longer for FX sensors, I don't really believe that we'll see a new generation with anything less than 24MP.

But, if the D300 replacement becomes a full frame camera, then that's really going to push D700 prices down. I just don't see an APSC camera at more than $1,800 retail, and quickly down to $1500-1600 after launch. The D300s is state of the art in every way that matters, except for the sensor. It costs $1,499 officially, but is available anywhere for $1,299. No new APSC sensor will push that price up by $700, maybe to $1599 depending on exchange rates and Nikon's own mendacity, but that's it.

I guess there are two scenarios:

1.) A new, lower price FX threshold established by the D700 replacement, $1999, and no D300s replacement, or
2.) A combination of D300 and D700 replacements, <$1800 and <$2800 respectively, 1600 and 2500?

I hope for 1, but expect 2.

I wouldn't make any decisions based on my rumor-mongering though. Get what you need, or just rent it if it's for a job or two. I don't know if 1500 euros is a good price. I know I can get a D700 in Toronto for $2200 (CAD) new at retail (plus taxes), I don't know if the retailers are going to be extra stingy with the Nikon rebates and bump all their lens and camera prices to full retail before applying the discounts. The deals would be much less compelling at that point...

I think I'd be inclined to wait. What's the harm? You can always shoot what you have in the meantime... although I'm dying to test out my 85 f/1.8 on a full frame camera. I thought you had a D700 already?