View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2011-02-16, 18:14

I agree, I just fear that when they upgrade those F2.8 and F1.8 primes to AF-S that the price will go up, most likely $200 or more each. Not to mention that all the new primes seem to suffer from slow AF-S motors, compared to the AF speed of the D models.

As for the 35mm F2D, I've seen mixed reviews, lab testers hate it, real life users love it on FX. The 24mm F2.8D actually has a rather good reputation on FX/film, but not so much on DX. It has the same optical formula as the 24mm F2.8 AI-S, one of the few modern primes that did retain the quality glass of the AI age. A few reviews state that the 24mm F2.8D is actually sharper than the 14-24mm F2.8G at 24mm, not to mention having way less distortion than the former or 24-70mm F2.8G! Most of the negative reviews of the 24mm F2.8D come from DX users who think it isn't wide enough, or sharp wide open, which might be true. Nikon developed the 24mm as a landscape lens, it is meant to be stopped down to at least F5.6 if you want more than just center sharpness.