View Single Post
Matsu
Veteran Member

2011-02-20, 20:33

In comparisons I've seen (not too many) it looks like the 24-70 is sharper at f/2.8 than the 35. Of course the 35 goes one stop faster, but that's not much of an advantage if it's not sharper doing so. The real advantage for these is the size/weight and close focusing, and it would be helped quite a bit if Nikon had a smaller full frame body to mount them on - though personally I think the D700 has the best current full frame DSLR chassis, something FE sized could be even better. In fact, something retro might be just the ticket. Stripped down and simple, metering all existing F mount lenses, focus confirmation, a thumb and forefinger dial hidden discretely in the grip for "G" lenses.. but that's a whole other digression

It would be really interesting to have a D7000 sized full frame model in the same way that the D700 is basically a D300 with a bigger penta-prism and mirror. For working a gig, it's becoming mostly a non issue. I worked a fundraiser for a friend last night with just the D300, 18-50 f/2.8 and SB900, and I got pretty good at discretely stalking the dance floor. But no one looks at you funny in that setting. Street photography is another matter though.

Anyway, I wanted to add, since there's so much photo related stuff here, if anyone has any favorite photo accessories, feel free to share. Favorite tripods, bags, hacks, software utilities, there always seems to be just one more great accessory to add...