View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2011-02-21, 01:34

Its hard to say what will happen, I think the pitfall of the MB-D11 is that it does not boost FPS, vs the MB-D10 on the D300 and the D700. The MB-D10 also allows you to use the beastly EN-EL4a, which if you are a pro shooter, could be a big deal. Of course the EN-EL15 in the D7000 is not too shabby in terms of battery life from what the reviewers have said. One thing I noticed in the D700 is that the EN-EL3e lasts longer than in the D300, but that could easily be due to factors like newer circuitry found in the D700 vs the D300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
In comparisons I've seen (not too many) it looks like the 24-70 is sharper at f/2.8 than the 35. Of course the 35 goes one stop faster, but that's not much of an advantage if it's not sharper doing so. The real advantage for these is the size/weight and close focusing, and it would be helped quite a bit if Nikon had a smaller full frame body to mount them on - though personally I think the D700 has the best current full frame DSLR chassis, something FE sized could be even better. In fact, something retro might be just the ticket. Stripped down and simple, metering all existing F mount lenses, focus confirmation, a thumb and forefinger dial hidden discretely in the grip for "G" lenses.. but that's a whole other digression.

Anyway, I wanted to add, since there's so much photo related stuff here, if anyone has any favorite photo accessories, feel free to share. Favorite tripods, bags, hacks, software utilities, there always seems to be just one more great accessory to add...
As for the prime vs 24-70mm F2.8G, it is a tough call. I love the simplicity and easy of using zooms, but when I am out hiking all day, like I was on Saturday, having a nice portable prime lens mounted on the D700 is a true blessing. I might be a little strange in this area, but I don't mind carrying a heavy camera, what I don't like is big bulky zoom lenses. Part of that is because I don't like camera straps, period. If I have a prime lens mounted I have no issue holding the D700 + MB-D10 for hours, but put a zoom like the 24-70mm F2.8 on there and the camera will be on my back, in my camera bag 90% of the time.

I would love a more mechanical camera like the FE, which is why I still have my FE! As for adding things to G lenses for changing the aperture, yikes! I think Nikon could have a retro body and still have a command dial on the back for changing the aperture.

Last edited by PB PM : 2011-02-21 at 01:58.