View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2011-02-21, 18:32

Ah I get you now, we were thinking the same thing really.

As for accessories, which I meant to write about last night, but forgot, there are so many good ones. A comfortable wrist strap is a nice thing to have! I currently have a cheap Sunpack one that is okay for my D3100, but I haven't found anything that works well with the D700, partly because I like to use the battery grip so often, which makes using wrist straps a bit of a pain because you have to take them off all the time.

One of the best accessories to have is a fast card reader. I know most modern Mac's have a SD card reader, so if you shoot with low end bodies this isn't an issue, but if you use CF cards half the advantage of the faster cards is write speeds! I use a USB2 Sandisk card reader, since I don't really need the download speed of a FW one.

A solid Manfrotto or Giottos tripod is a must if you are doing low light shooting with some serious gear. Low cost (read under $100) tripods are a pain to use, and just don't offer the stability that you need for a DSLR and serious lenses. For a compact camera or entry level DSLR with kit lenses or an 18-200mm, a Slik tripod/head combo is likely to be good enough, either that or one of those nice Joby flexible tripods. I have one of the Joby tripods, (SLR Zoom) and it works well with cameras like the D300/D700 without the grip attached, as long as your lens isn't too heavy, a 24-70mm F2.8 lens would likely be too much. (The SLR Pro version could handle that kind of weight).