View Single Post
Matsu
Veteran Member

2011-04-06, 05:31

The limited direct interface of the smaller cameras can be an inconvenience, but I think it's the viewfinder that really holds them back in comparison. This is where an EVF hybrid solution could really shine. The Alpha SLT viewfinders are bigger than anything in the budget DSLR space, and brighter in dim light too. Of course they probably wash out in bright light high contrast areas and/or take a moment to adjust, but as these improve, you can have a lot of benefits, like zebra patterns and detachable finders for instance...

Just a quick comparison of the "mirrorless" formats, which really ought to simply be called EVF cameras, since there are no other naming conventions that describe cameras by what they don't have. And, not EVIL either, since there are no naming conventions that describe cameras by their modularity. We have view cameras, TLR, SLR, DSLR, RF, RF-D and EVF. Related to SLR, we have pellicle mirror models now referred to as SLT, modern ones use an EVF, but there were also OVF models, so I guess we can add SLT-OVF and SLT EVF. EVIL and mirror-less are juvenile and/or cumbersome designations.
a
Anyway, just a quick not comparing Leica's M and Sony's NEX. Leica's M has a flange distance about 2/3rds the image circle diameter, a little less. 27.8/44. Sony's NEX has a flange of only 18mm, and an image circle of about 28mm. So, a similar ratio, basically scaled down Leica M proportions. If Sony ever made a full frame NEX, it would have a rather extreme ratio, almost 1/3rd the image circle diameter. I imagine they could design around any problems by placing the rear elements into different positions regardless of the flange distance, but it might invite more complexity...

Most DSLR's have about a 1:1 ratio between the flange and the image circle. Interestingly, even though micro 4/3rds is a mirrorless design, the flange distance is almost 1:1 with the image circle diameter, so angles of incedence more or less similar to classic DSLR designs.

Back to NEX, to make lenses proportionally as small Leica, they would probably have to offset the sensor micro-lenses somehow...