View Single Post
addabox
Veteran Member

2011-09-27, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
It's not great, but I'll give it a chance. If they can stop leaning on the "family" angle a bit it might be OK. To be honest it's the first time I've watched FOX in about 6 months, so there's something there that would get viewers like me to turn the channel their way. I bet it did pretty well in the ratings (or maybe not, I'm not really the guy that's a barometer for "hit" shows).
You know, I really loath the "bratty teenage boy hooks up with awesome multicultural posse featuring hot love interest to act as rebellious surrogate for our CW demographic" pandering shit. Just gives me a headache, it's so stupidly obvious and lame. Kind of puts me off the whole thing, since it immediately tips the producer's hands that they're more interested in some kind of ratings machine than making something genuinely creative or interesting.

What made Lost so good was the writing, the offbeat casting, and the creation of memorable, quirky characters. Here we get generic tough but tender Dad, sexy but caring Mom, hard as nails boss man, cute kid, sweet adolescent girl and cranky older teen boy who resents his dad. And when the head of the rebel forces proved to be a bad ass black lady I kind of gave up.

Seems like all these big concept SciFi shows think that the mythology will keep things interesting and the characters can just do low grade soap opera in between and all will be well. Flash Forward was so terribly written I couldn't watch it, no matter how much I wanted to see what they did with the idea. Hire better writers. When the network guys tell you you need more relatable characters for the 15-34 demo and that you shouldn't introduce too many confusing things because everyone is a moron, just walk out of the room. Make a deal with basic cable. If the thing's watered down to the point that it lacks all distinction, it's going to get cancelled after a few shows anyway, so what's the point?

And the thing is, what they don't seem to grasp, is that we live in a golden age of TV. There is more high quality stuff on right now than there has ever been. We like it. And it makes by the numbers stuff look all the worse. And network TV wonders why it's losing viewership.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated