View Single Post
Wrao
Yarp

2015-11-14, 14:59

As for the iPad Pro in general. It looks great. Culmination of a lot of subtle details elevating the device in ways that don't necessarily show up on a spec sheet. Pretty much only the price pushes me away from getting one immediately. Even though it compares favorably to a $1k laptop and all, it's still a lot of money. I'm going to hold out I think, maybe wait for the first revision. I kind of suspect Apple will eventually work pencil support into all their iPads and maybe even eventually the desktops(via Magic Trackpad 3).

Much has been made about the Surface Pro, and Surface Book. I think they're both compelling devices but I'm really not convinced MS has the right philosophy overall. It's true that a Surface can technically do more through its full Windows support, but increasingly, that support starts to feel like *legacy* support and I have to wonder if it won't hold them back moving forward in ways that Apple will be unencumbered by. Which is to say, strictly speaking, a Surface might give you more options today, but I kind of trust that through a combination of first and third party development, the iPad Pro will very quickly start to look more and more like a full-on OS replacement device. In that, it's not a question of being able to use the same software, it's a question of being able to achieve the same (or superior) results.