View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-09, 10:17

Interesting timing, since I referenced it just over a week ago upthread (as one of the three movies I've never been able to make it through, no matter how hard, or many times, I've tried).

Movie will be called Avatar: The Way of Water and is set for release in mid-December.

Two things:

1) I had no idea it was being made (it's been 13 years since the original movie hit in 2009), and that four sequels total are planned. Ambitious...

2) Strong cast. The leads you'd expect from the original are back, including Sigourney Weaver and Stephen Lang, but appearing, new, in the sequel are Edie Falco (Carmela from The Sopranos, for those living under a rock ), Kate Winslet (who I think might've appeared in another Cameron movie about a big boat or something) and CCH Pounder, a longtime favorite of mine who, alongside Walton Goggins, was the best part of FX's police drama The Shield several years back. Three strong performers who always do solid work.

Cliff Curtis is also part of the new cast, one of those actors you've seen a hundred times in movies and TV shows (lots of genre and action fare, but some other stuff as well), but doesn't have a known, household name (that's the kind of actor you want to be...steadily employed/busy, but not so famous/"A list" that you can't go to Subway or the grocery store without the paparazzi crawling up your butt, night and day). He's good too.

Also, the original movie is being re-released into theaters in late September, to help with the hype/buildup (and refresh people's memories).

No plans to see it, but just thought I'd pass it along because it's still major movie news (despite my inability to get on with it).

EDIT: Apparently CCH Pounder was in the 2009 movie. Looks like she played (mo-cap) one of those blue aliens (so looking nothing like real life), and, having never seen it, it was news to me. Anyway, she's back too. The article I linked to above made it sound like she was new to the franchise (among the cast of "newcomers..."), so that's a bit of lazy, sloppy reporting...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-05-09 at 11:30.