View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-13, 20:01

Every article or review I’ve read about this show has been along these lines, which is why I asked what I asked upthread (is this show looking back to the original source material, keeping things tight and punchy.

Now that it’s mentioned, most shows these days - networks, cable, streaming - are sprawling and serialized, to where if you miss an episode or two you’re up a creek.

As someone who grew up on Starsky & Hutch and the like, I do appreciate that episodic, in-and-out approach.

Things I’ve gotten into in recent years - Bates Motel, Better Call Saul, The Walking Dead, etc. - have indeed felt like slogs or chores because I’m always having to remember shit said and done 2-4 years earlier. I never really thought of it that way, but maybe I just don’t have the attention-span (or brainpower) required for years-long, serialized fare. Maybe I’m just more wired for stuff being presented, addressed and solved in 60 minutes.

There’s going to be carryover, but I do like how some shows allow me to just pop in and enjoy an episode.

It’s, then, no mystery/surprise that I always - always - enjoyed the standalone installments of The X Files (“The Host”, “Clyde Bruckmans’s Final Repose”, “Home”, “Die Hand Die Verletzt”, etc.) over the ones focusing on the dense, sprawling mythology and “backbone” of the series with all the government stuff, Mulder’s dad and sister, the smoking a-hole, etc.).

Entertain me for an hour, and then leave me alone. I don’t need homework or pop quizzes on my TV viewing.