Thread: Car Talk
View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-03-27, 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
So I have a quandary. Well, not really, but I wanna whine, so here I am.

I have a '95 Jeep Cherokee Sport that I am looking to get rid of. 246kmi, original engine and transmission, has had the alternator and an O2 sensor replaced, and... that's it, for the going bits. Brakes re-done a couple of years ago (they locked up HARD and caught on fire on the freeway before I could get to a turnout, it was AWESOME... but not the first time...), a tie rod, a side mirror... the repairs on this thing have been ridiculously below expectations.

This thing has been through hell and back. I've owned it since '96 when I got my first "real job" out of grad school, and in addition to several Atlantic <-> Pacific trips and countless runs between NC and NY, it's been through two hurricanes, had a tree dropped across the hood (side mirror), a cinder block chunk from an overpass bounce off that same hood, caught brakes on fire twice (once as above, once on a mountain pass in UT because I was a dork), and been dragged through an intersection by a semi before having the front left fender *run over* by the trailer (tie rod collapsed)... and it will. not. die. Stored without battery, when I hook it up it start on the first turn of the key, every time.

I call it Frankenjeep. It's a Russian chop shop special, front half a '95, back half a '96.

It's been in the carport for the past two years, undriven, and it's time to let it go.

At this point I'm sure it's pretty much good for parts, the floorpan under the driver's seat is flaking off in sheets of rust, the body is in very ungood shape, and it has a minor roof leak above the passenger seat... which is *great* in the Pacific North Wet. The mice in the air filter are going to be mighty pissed.

Still, after 27 years, the driver's seat is perfectly molded to my ass, and you can't buy that kind of comfort.

Looking like a donation to a local radio station at this point, which breaks my heart, but the damned thing is taking up space I need to air dry some cedar planking.

Bleah.
Is there a youth ranch or a goodwill someplace local you can drop it off at?

Also, we had a junker once and called the Rusty Jalopy and they showed up and gave us $500 for it for the scraps.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)