View Single Post
Frank777
Veteran Member

2023-03-30, 21:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Maybe, but it'd be super weird of John Ternus to say, "oh, and yes, the Mac Pro is still coming" at the end of the Mac Studio introduction and then decide "haha, just kidding".

Yep. Apple has had several chances to walk it back, and has doubled down on a forthcoming Mac Pro. It's definitely coming, in some form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
iMacs could land in April or May for all we know. Or they could have something special coming at WWDC.

At this point, I won't be surprised if the iMac gets entirely reimagined.
From the rumours, it looks like M3 is a really big jump over the previous architecture. That alone may mean it misses the summer.

But the factor that is swaying me is the Glasses. Apple doesn't like products tripping over each other in the media. And WWDC seems to be the showplace for the glasses. If Apple really goes into a fight with the other AR/VR players, it will demand the product get a lock on media attention.

January 2007: iPhone demoed at MacWorld. Apple TV got named, but no Macs shown or released.

January 2010: iPad demoed at an Apple special event. No Macs shown or released.

Since the Glasses will require a new OS/coding play, it makes sense to demo them at WWDC. I find it hard to believe that Apple will enter a new category of devices and then say "Oh...BTW, here's the new Mac Pro." [or iMac.]

There's an event coming before WWDC. April is Easter, maybe the Mac Pro comes back from the dead. Or [more likely] it debuts around that Pro Video event since that's where the usage of the Mac Pro is targeted. But it's not stealing the limelight from Cook's shiny new Virtual Reality thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
They have to make the plastics.
And it takes much longer when the plastics are made of Aluminium.