View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-04-16, 07:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Voyager utterly neutering any power from the Borg is probably what I dislike most about that show. The Borg could have remained a menacing villain today if they weren't turned into a dumb monster of the week that any motley crew could outwit and outrun.
To be fair, I think it was inevitable.

When you have a villain you introduce as mysterious and unbeatable, but then keep learning more about it (I Borg), expore weirder aspects (what the hell was Descent), and keep winning (TBoBW, ST8), well, they're not as mysterious and unbeatable any more, are they.

Quote:
I expect that most of these, especially the hand thing, are just more mystery boxes that will never be opened. I hate this, but I have already accepted it.
I'm somewhat OK with never seeing the hand explained only to the extent that it belongs in fantasy, not sci-fi. (Much like many other Trek things, to be fair. Including Moriarty. Why was he in this season again?)

Quote:
And Frakes! My god, that man has been a joy to see, even when he was burning pizza in season 1.
Oh, definitely. He's somehow still having the time of his life whenever he appears in (or gets to direct an episode of) Trek!

Quote:
Most of those strongly stand the test of time.
Yeah, that's a thing about modern Trek. I can't think of many episodes that have rewatchability. There's too little in terms of self-contained, compelling stories. Maybe SNW's Lift Us Where Suffering Cannot Reach?

Quote:
I mentioned before that I've been re-watching TNG from the start with my wife. We're in season 3 and recently finished The Offspring, the episode in which Data conceives his child Lal, and holy smokes was that episode's writing forward-thinking and amazingly relevant to current 2023 American politics. A story in which a person chooses their own gender? And nobody around them is making a big deal of it, just accepting them for how they feel most comfortable expressing themself? All while struggling with identity and emotions they can't understand? What year is this?!
Yeah.

(See also: that meme about "Curzon, my beloved old friend!" — "I'm Jadzia now." — "Jadzia!! My beloved old friend." In a way, Dax, and perhaps the Trill in general, is about how present-day society places an odd emphasis on someone's gender.)

The Offspring predated Clinton, and the German Reunion. Quite forward-thinking for its time.

Quote:
Trek was a great mirror and lens through which you could examine our history and culture and controversies, like parables and literary epics of old.
Precisely. Modern Trek has… some of that, but not a whole lot.