View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-01, 09:19

First is troubleshoot each item individually. Test everything at the rack with a short "factory built cable" that should be a known good. So work on getting one connected at a time. Once one is working then move on to the next. Trying to do all at once will complicate it more than needed.

Personally I assume the cabling is the problem. It is so easy to cross over a wire when terminating. Testing with a tester is really a must too when building your own. I accidentally fried my original tester so I bought this one from Wal-mart. It does more than I need it to, but the key reason I got it was to verify my pinouts on the terminations were right and not reversed.

Once you know the cabling is right and you've gotten the devices adopted into the system with the short cables at the rack you should be good to install where you want them in the house. Basically you have such weirdness going on it is likely cabling. Isolate that out of the equation by connecting devices straight to the switch/DMP and verify adoption and function. Then troubleshoot the cable connection points and terminations. Those keystones in the plate at your rack could be bad, etc. So many places that gremlins can seek into.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.