View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-10-14, 15:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Dang, math much?
I was curious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
That's almost like something I'd do!

I do wonder, with one year coming up, what happens to that first round of M1 stuff from November 2020? Do they just get a faster M1 in the coming months?
I thought rumor has it that the new Air design is coming in spring, and that we won't see the M2 until then. (I'm also guessing they'll leave the M1 Air around for $200-300 off.)

Which leaves only the Mac mini and the low-end Pro, neither of which are that important.

That's something that's yet to be made known, now this stuff is to be tiered and aimed over time.

Quote:
Will there always be an M1 and it just gets faster under-the-hood speeds/specs for years to come? Or does it go to an M1x at some point, putting it on even ground with the upcoming pro notebooks?
Nah. M1 just means "first generation of Mac processor". M1X means "same generation, but for higher-end Macs".

A newer Mac that currently has an M1 will get an M2, M3, M4. Below that, we might one day see the M2L or something.

And above that, we'll probably see the M1X, M2X, etc.

Quote:
How will the two lines - regular and professional - be presented/separated? Will it all just come down to timing, where 1-2 times a year, for a month or so, a bunch of Macs, whether they have the word "pro" in their name or not, share the same guts, based on when various models are updated?

Or will there be an obvious, distinct two-lane track with this, this and that Mac on one...and these, these and those Macs on the other? And it be really super obvious which one is designed for what type of user?

I'm really hoping that sort of thing is made known Monday. Just too much unknown/unclear now, for nearly a year now.
I don't think they'll emphasize the CPU too much in that respect. They never really have.