View Single Post
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2008-02-16, 16:45

Somewhere in the middle of getting my BS in Mechanical Engineering I knew it wasn't for me. I got good grades and all, but knew this wasn't what I wanted to do. With the help of others I decided it'd be best to just stick it out and get the degree. I graduated last May and I'm creeping up on my first full year of work as an engineer and I'm convinced now more than ever that I do not want to pursue a career in engineering.

I have been thinking about going to medical school for the past 3 months or so. I think pursuing a career practicing medicine or doing medical research would be extremely interesting, fulfilling, and important.

Engineering can be all those things -- if that's your "thing". But it's not my thing. I'm glad I rode it out to get the degree and that I tried it for about a year...but i think i've given the major everything I've owed it. So my question is this:

Am I crazy to want to give up this job (which is paying me well above average), with ample opportunity to move up in the company (albeit still doing the same work) to start a medical career essentially from scratch at the age of 23?

I'd have to take a year of bio/chem classes to catch up before even applying to med school (I'm in the process of a correspondence with the pre-med advisor from the school I got my BS from to find out exactly what I'd need to do)...but I think I would genuinely enjoy it.

Right now, it's too early for me to even be leaning one way or another. It seems like a good idea but I will reserve judgement until I have all the information in front of me. But in the interim, i'm curious what you guys think.