View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-22, 19:31

At times, sure. I've said above, in a couple of places, that it's not perfect, and that I've not loved every single thing. But the things I do like/enjoy far outweigh the stuff I don't. And, frankly, I find the less-than parts of this show way more enjoyable than the high points (pretend there were some) of any of the three sequel trilogy installments.

YMMV, but that's my honest feelings on the matter. This show entertains me and makes me look forward to the next installment. Those movies did not.

What I do have a slight issue with is the talk of a Boba Fett series, which, honestly, I kinda thought this show was a suitable stand-in for. I don't like the idea of there being two hard-case, similarly-outfitted bounty hunter types in two separate shows because that just wastes the opportunity to do something different...whatever that may be.

I don't want them to put all their eggs in the "cool helmet" basket and overplay their hand. I don't see how a show centered around Boba Fett could be all that unique and different from what we're already getting. So unless they're going to make him a musician or traveling magician or something, I'm just not all that interested in another one of these kind of shows.

I kinda found everyone "one dimensional" in the 1977 release, to be honest. All clear-cut "he's this, she's that, they're this, those guys are that...". And that's fine. It served the story, for what it was. Luke and Vader changed over the trilogy, but nobody else really did, IMO.

I find this show enjoyable in a way that I didn't the big-screen outings because, for better or for worse, it doesn't seem to be trying too hard. And I don't mean that as any sort of slam at all...I know hard work goes into any project like this. But I mean in the overall tone and appeal, it seems to hit the marks people enjoy, and spare some of the things that sunk those movies. Fan service, in and of itself, isn't bad or unwelcome. But, like everything, there's good and bad ways to go about it. This show just seems more matter-of-fact and casual about it, while those movies seemed to beat you over the head with things.

Would I change a few things about this show, in terms of characters and pacing and how things play out? Yeah. But nobody from Disney/Lucasfilm is asking me, so I just have to go with it.

If it's between this imperfect, but enjoyable, fun show and those poorly-written, dipshit sequel entries that ended the saga on a sad, WTF?! whimper...I'm gonna throw in with the former. Because it feels more like what I've spent most of my life watching/enjoying (the OT).

I remember saying, a year ago, that I think it's gonna be hard to base a show around a character we never see, who "doesn't have a face". The most one-dimensional character on the show, oddly enough, is the title/lead character. At some point they're going to have to figure out a way around that because I don't think the current approach is sustainable, long-term. Frankly, it's hard to give a shit about someone you can't see/relate to. I know that's weird, but there is a disconnect there for me. I'd rather see something bad happen to Mando than any other regular character on the show (The Child, Cara Dune, Greef and, yes, even Moff Gideon), because he's a faceless statue and only does about 2-3 things total - shoot people, fly his ship and stand around being all Man With No Name - (which is why we don't need another show of someone acting the same kind of way...the SW streaming universe can't consist solely of shows centered around taciturn, hair-triggered hard-cases in full-time helmets). So, yeah...I do kinda find him one-dimensional. He's actually my least favorite aspect of the show, and I’ve talked about this upthread as well.

The rest? No more so than I found Luke, Han, Leia, Vader and Tarkin in 1977 (or, more accurately, viewing them as an adult these past 30 years).

It's enough, for now, that I don't have to roll my eyes and grit my teeth at the mere mention of Star Wars. That hasn’t been the case for several years.

One-dimensional, I can handle*

Incoherent, joyless and point-missing noise? Not so much.

*I spent 5-6 solid years wasting my time with the pointless, circular, nobody-ever-learns-anything-and-all-these-characters-deserve-to-die slog that is The Walking Dead...and more than a decade on those silly MCU movies. I know all about “one-dimensional” fare.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-11-23 at 05:03.