View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-01, 12:36

I just saw an interview with Ms. Dawson. Holy smokes...she’s so pretty it hurts. While I question her choice in men, I guess I’d call myself Spartacus too if that’s who I got to lie beside every night.

Lucky bastard...

I honestly don’t know why she isn’t a bigger star? I look at people like Jennifer Lawrence, and her inexplicable fame/celebrity-dom, and I just scratch my head. I’ve seen many (most?) of her movies and there was one, maybe two, that I actually believed her in or thought “okay, she’s doing a nice job here.” But the rest? What gives?

Is it role choices? Or maybe you have to run in the right crowd/circles? Is it your agent and “people” you surround yourself with? If you win a big award, especially earlier on, does that automatically grant you a bit of a pass and a period to “coast”/tread water (Halle Berry also comes to mind). Lawrence has stepped into the genre waters a good bit as well, as has Dawson, but I’ve seen Dawson act circles around her over the years, in quite a few things.

Politically, Dawson appears to be on the “correct” side of things, so she hasn’t Selleck’ed herself or limited her options by being conservative or Right-wing in a town/industry that isn’t. Has she made enemies somewhere, denying her opportunities others may have gotten?

I’ve just always thought, for 10+ years now, that she’d be a much bigger “star” (I hate that word, but you know what I mean). All the elements seem to be in place.

It’s always interesting how things like that play out. It’s like music, I guess. I spent a year living in Nashville in 1997-1998 and the singers and musicians I’d see playing in some shitty tavern or tourist trap blew away anything you’d hear on the radio. That was an eye-opening period for me, and when it kinda hit me that “fame” and “talent” don’t automatically go hand-in-hand.

So, obviously, talent is but a small, single factor (and, sometimes, maybe not even a factor at all). Because I see people in movies and TV, or on the music charts, and all I can think is “their skills/talents obviously reside in other areas besides acting or musical ability.”

Please don’t make me draw a picture...this is a family forum.

Sorry for the SW detour, but that interview - funny, articulate, gorgeous, sweet - just made me think “how is she not a full-on A-lister at this point?!”

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-12-01 at 13:08.