View Single Post
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-02-22, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretara View Post
If, in a time of war with Canada, the US serviceman raped a Canadian person then Canada (our 'enemy') would have no say in the matter. I believe that the same would occur in an occupation.
We're occupying Iraq as our enemy, are we? I'm not sure the Government would publicly agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker
For one, because the Iraqis don't have a properly functioning government yet, which is the entire reason the US Army is still there to begin with.
They do have a functional court system though, do they not? They managed to try at least one high-profile defendant.

Quote:
An Iraqi soldier may be in New York as a citizen. If he were there, however, as a soldier on a mission the US and Iraqi governments agree on, then he's there as a representative of the Iraqis, and therefore (at least partially) immune to US laws.
...at the US's discretion. It only works if the Iraqis don't want to try them. If they don't, fair enough, but it's their choice.

You know, if I was these guys, I don't know which option I would be more worried about.