View Single Post
Henriok

Send a message via AIM to Henriok  
2004-07-09, 16:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmoo
Hi Gang,
Just read a disturbing article about IBM's Cell Processor and it's effect on Apple. http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/34994.html
Woah.. what is he smoking? I find so many things that just ain't right that it's hard to counter them all.

IBM have taken this year to take a new and decicive grip on it's POWER and PowerPC offerings. POWER everywhere! Power5 and 970 is all over IBM's Power pages, and they won't go away. It's just silly that IBM would deliberately screw Apple and Microsoft who's Xbox 2-processor is PowerPC based, not Cell. IBM is trying to get back on the map with powerfull desktop processors, and screwing 2 of their three largest customers (Nintendo beeing the third member of that triad) would be just moronic.

It would be easy to port Darwin and Linux to Cell, but nearly impossible to port the rest of OSX? And, it would be a viable path for Apple to adopt the Sparc architechture instead? Woah? This is just so dumb that I'm at loss for words.
And.. IBM just made the POWER technology as open as Sparc ever was.. Oh, let's just ingnore that And.. that the Sparc processors is vastly underpowered compared to the PowerPC offerings, present and future.
And.. why ditch a proven architechture for something that's unproven even for Sun?

This seems to me like a Sun fanboy grasping for straws just to justify Sun sticking to Sparc. I can see Sun benefiting from OSX on Sparc, but from Apple's point of view it is just dumb.

Just to set things straight: IBM did create PowerPC. Motorola added support for its 88110 bus technology, the rest is pure IBM. AltiVec is not part of the PowerPC specification but just one of numerous add ons that are available.

Last edited by Henriok : 2004-07-09 at 16:08.