View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-29, 21:16

Oh, certainly. She'll probably adore it.

It's not tacky or juvenile or gross at all.

In some ways, it reminds me of that movie "Outside Providence". It's like that movie, with a little "Royal Tannenbaums" and "Rushmore" thrown in, if that makes any sense. Even a smidgen of "American Beauty" in some of its quiet pathos.

I really, really enjoyed it. Every bit. As I said earlier, it was simply up my alley - stylistically, writing, pacing, visually, etc. - so I couldn't help but enjoy it. A much better movie, on every level, than everything else I've seen this spring and summer!

Just quirky enough to be watchable and enjoyable, but not so weird and freaky as to be off-putting, as some of these smaller, out-of-the-way films can be. It's one of those Fox Searchlight films, just small and almost "made on a budget" in feel. Nothing big and splashy at all.

Mostly just damn good writing/dialog, some gutbusting moments, some realistic scenes of longing and attraction, etc. Just seemed very real and "normal" to me. Wasn't trying to be cute, clever or "cutting edge". Just a solid, enjoyable movie. They tend to stand out because they're definitely the minority!

I saw it at the 4:10 Sunday afternoon showing...and the theater was PACKED, which totally surprised me. I've heard next to nothing about this and my town isn't exactly "independent film crazy", if you know what I mean. But everyone laughed and left the theater talking about it in positive, good tones (at least all the people around me that I was able to overhear).